Sunday, February 10, 2013

Alleluia, Voices Raise

Quickly, before we begin a season of fasting, repentance and prayer on Ash Wednesday this week, and bury the Alleluias until Easter morning, let me say, "Alleluia!" for rich and varied voices from the pulpit.

While I wasn't on the regular preaching schedule in January at my internship site, I preached at a chapel service and a funeral before traveling to St. Paul Minnesota for my final 2-week learning intensive on campus at Luther Seminary, and then resumed preaching with another chapel service before the month was finished. The sermon below was my first in St. Mark's since Christmas Eve when I told the story of The Littlest Angel by Charles Tazewell.

February 3, 2013
4th Sunday after the Epiphany (Year C)
Jeremiah 1:4-10Psalm 71:1-6
1 Corinthians 13:1-13
Luke 4:21-30

Listen Now

Having been welcomed so graciously into the pulpit at my home congregation, at the retirement community and again during internship, I am grateful for the opportunities I've been given to proclaim the Gospel in different settings and to different audiences. I'm also delighted when someone else is preaching because I get to hear their voices and interpretations of the text, and hear how they heard God's word for us. Throughout Lent and this 90th anniversary year for St. Mark's we are inviting former pastors and sons and daughters of the congregation to return to St. Mark's to preach - what a joy it will be to hear the Gospel from so many different voices. Recordings from St. Mark's are on the church's website.

No comments: