Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Bearing Hope

A week ago I sat parked outside the Greyhound station in Charlotte waiting for a bus to bring a visitor for the Thanksgiving holiday. It was dark and wet and I sat in the car with the engine running and the windows closed, watching the station exit.While I was waiting an older man walked by on the sidewalk. His long coat hung on his frame and his whiskers were gray. He pantomimed asking if I would give him anything.

I don't carry cash, so I really didn't have anything to give, and, besides, after dark in a neighborhood I don't know isn't where I strike up conversations with people I don't know. I shook my head. He walked in front of the car to get my attention again and when he reached my side of the car, he stood and saluted to the street, in a pantomime of a soldier. I shrugged my shoulders helplessly and said through the window that "Thank you, but I don't have anything I can give you." He looked irritated and stomped away down the street behind where I was parked. Eventually I couldn't see him any longer.

It left me feeling like I had failed. I didn't welcome a stranger. I didn't feed the hungry. I tuned inward and isolated myself from the world outside. And that isn't what following Jesus looks like.

More than a year ago, I had talked about putting some items in the car for people I meet on the street, but I had never gotten around to it. That Thanksgiving eve encounter renewed my resolve not to turn a person away empty-handed again. There are any number of "supply lists" for providing for the homeless on the web, but one I had saved. suggested the following items are appreciated:

shampooconditionercomb
toothpastetoothbrushdeodorant
razorchapstickhand lotion
hatscarfgloves
thermal sockslightweight snackssmall bottle of water
small first aid kitgift cards(small amounts)words of encouragement

Near its assortment of trial and travel size toiletries, the big box store had convenient 10-piece travel kits for $5.97. Both the men's and women's zippered plastic bags contain an extra zip-top bag, toothpaste and a toothbrush, a comb, shampoo, conditioner and deodorant. Men also get mouthwash, shaving cream and a razor while women get hand lotion and floss picks.

I took the packaging out, and to this foundation I added a bottle of water, two packages of peanut butter crackers, chewing gum, loose bandaids, a pocket size package of Kleenex tissues, a small tube of petroleum jelly, a pair of winter gloves, a washcloth, mouthwash and a razor for the women and lotion for the men.

And then it all went into a zip top gallon size plastic bag, and into the car for the next person I meet.



In this Advent season when God breaks into our world and reminds us of the promises we have been given and shows us how to have hope, courage, love and joy, this is one way I can show others glimpses of the gifts faith  gives me each day.

No comments: