Friday, July 18, 2014

Life Flows on in Endless Song

Sometimes I pray the headlines, which in the last 48 hours have included the most recent ground invasion of Gaza by Israel, the loss of nearly 300 lives on the Malaysia Flight MH17 and the crises in the U.S. border communities who are struggling to welcome refugee children from Central America.

This morning, I was feeling the weight of all that loss, anger and fear, so I decided to open our sanctuary at Ascension Lutheran Church, a couple of blocks north of the city square for three hours, and let our congregation know that the space would be unlocked and open for prayer to anyone who wanted to come.

As for me, I sat with an open hymnal (Evangelical Lutheran Worship) and prayed for the Church, for congregations, for God's mission, for peace, for healing and comfort, for the nations and leaders, for cities and citizens. I read some of the Psalms included in the hymnal, and then I started reading through the hymns themselves. The practice reminded that Pete Seeger had it right, life flows on in endless song. Thanks be to God.

Here are the words I prayed and read and sang (the ELW hymn numbers are in parentheses):
  • "lead us through our need or doubting, hope be born and joy restored" (312)
  • "cross of Christ stands towering over the wrecks of time...when woes of life overtake me, hopes deceive and fears annoy, never shall the cross forsake me." (324)
  • "when my head is bowed in sorrow, Lord, I want Jesus to walk with me." (325)
  • "the path through noise and silence" (326)
  • "parched and weary from the chase we have come from hurt and worry thirsting for your healing grace" (331)
  • "I come to Jesus as I was, so weary, worn and sad, I found in him a resting place" (332)
  • "Stay with me, remain here with me, watch and pray. Watch and pray." (348)
  • "The powers of death have done their worst; Jesus their legions has dispersed. Let shouts of holy joy outburst." (366)
  • "scatters fear and gloom" (376)
  • "whispered in silence then the world was still" (396)
  • "from the bondage of sorrow, all the captives dream dreams" (396) 
  • Veni Sancte Spiritus "Holy Spirit, Come to Us" (406)
  • Adoremus Te Domine "Lord we adore you"
  • Ubi Caritas Et Amor "Where true charity and love abide" (642)
  • "Wait for the Lord, whose day is near. Wait for the Lord, be strong, take heart." (262)
  • "O Lord, hear my prayer, when I call, answer me; O Lord, hear my prayer, come and listen to me." (751)
  • "Lord, listen to your children playing; Lord, send your Spirit in this place.Lord, listen to your children playing; send us love, send us power, send us grace." (752) 
  • "And when I am alone, Give me Jesus, you can have all this world, give me Jesus." (770)
  •  "Precious Lord, lead me on, let me stand, I am tired, I am weak, I am worn. Hear my cry, hear my call." (773)
  • "In your company, I'll go where your love and footsteps show. Thus I'll move and live and grow in you and you in me." (798)
  • "When our spirits like a chalice, brim with gladness; when our voices, full and clear, sing out the truth, we see God, here by our side, walking our way." (725)

No comments: