Friday, January 8, 2010

Priorities

For the next two weeks I'll be on campus at Luther Sem for the January 'intensive. Ten days, two classes, not a lot of sleep.

However, my last minute run for supplies wasn't for toothpaste or highlighters. I went to the store early this morning to pick up a few extra skeins of yarn. I know I can find toothpaste and office supplies in Minnesota.

It crossed my mind that this intensive, having been to campus twice now, my suitcase, or rather what's not in it, reveals a lot. Besides yarn and knitting needles:
  • No food. The dorm has a regular kitchen and the cafeteria is open for most weekday meals. The corner market has anything I need on a whim, and there are enough people with cars that we can get real groceries if wanted. This time of year, I don't even have to worry about the refrigerator being overstocked - the dorm windowsills provide instant refrigeration!
  • Hot pot, one cup coffee filter gadget and cup. Fresh ground hazelnut creme coffee and bags for hot tea. Some things should not be taken for granted. I will have to find honey.
  • No running shoes. There is a gym, but I'd rather take a regular walk around campus and for that, I need my boots. Besides, it's not like I exercise at home - why would I expect to change that routine at school?
  • Pictures of my family. I didn't bring these on my first trip and it helps to have them, even if I can access files on my laptop, too.
Well, flight is in 2.5 hours, so I better take my bag and what's in it and head to the airport.

No comments: