Monday, July 11, 2011

Child Brides

Often news stories blur together but this weekend, I read an article about child brides from National Geographic. It was shared on Facebook by The Girl Effect an organization working to break the cycle of poverty in developing countries by focusing on providing education and opportunities to girls and getting them to adolescence whole and healthy. Read the article and watch the video and read why it haunts me.


This video by Stephanie Sinclair and the article by Cynthia Gorney are all connected through a documentary project at the Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting: Too Young to Wed: The Secret World of Child Brides.

Why this story haunts me
I cannot imagine either of my two daughters marrying, even though they are years older than the girls in this story.  However, that isn't what makes this story so startling. What keeps rattling around in my thoughts and haunts me about this story is what I have in common with at least some of the parents of these children.

Pay attention to the conversation that takes place between an activist and a father in the article and to the words of the girl in the video who "escaped" child marriage and instead was introduced into child prostitution. 

These child marriages, which are conducted illegally and covertly, are, at least some of the time, preemptive. At least some of the families believe that giving their daughters to marriages at the age of five, seven, or even eleven is a way to protect their daughters against rape and other violence.

Is there anything I would not do to protect my daughters from violence?

While it doesn't make child marriages any less disturbing, Sinclair and Gorney's work makes me ask harder questions before firing off an indignant email or letter.  How do families survive, how do children find safety and security, and what are the obstacles that people face?  If legislating no child marriage has failed, what are the possible solutions?  I don't have easy answers but I think looking at each other as daughters, sisters and parents is a start.

The Girl Effect documents the extraordinary odds that face girls and explain how difficult it is for girls to stay in school and reach adolescence.  The National Geographic article introduced readers to a half-dozen organizations who are working on this issue.

There's a beautiful shot in the video when the narrator says: "Childhood is not for cooking and cleaning and having babies. It is for education and having friends and having fun."  I'm not sure what the next steps are, but I hope more of us can live into a future where children the world over can  spend their childhoods being children.

No comments: