Tuesday, June 21, 2011

"A Glimpse of the Future" (2019)

As we navigate social networks that have risen so dramatically in the last five years, a video titled “A Glimpse of the Future” from Microsoft that was first shared in 2009 illustrates what they are working on in the next ten years (2019).  Even with my own encounters with social media  and my own experience of distributed learning, it's astonishing to see what people imagine for the future.  But this is not the stuff of Star Trek. How we communicate and work are changing; how we teach and learn are changing; how we use paper and technology is changing. How we live is changing. 


Just as our paradigms for the marketplace and our classrooms are changing, we need to recognize that our ways of being congregations and communities are changing too.  We are facing an adaptive challenge that demands a response outside of our current knowledgebase and requires us to learn new ways of doing and new ways of finding answers.  Ready, set, go!

For more on leading people through adaptive challenges, listen to Ronald Heifetz.

3 comments:

GMa Rose, PS said...

But they are all still wearing suits and ties, and the majority of execs are men. Not so much has changed, after all.

I know, not the point, but I noticed that and wonder what it means...?

Pastor Christina Auch said...

Good point on gender inequity in the media. And more startling still, that it never even registered for me.

Chris Cowan said...

I'm so glad you posted the video. it's pretty amazing stuff. I put it up on fb with the comment, "I want to live in this future." I wouldn't have a clue how, but it looks like fun! When I think of how I would have responded to it 10 years ago,with fear, I can see how far I've come from my luddite roots!